Reduced Membership Due for International Members
JSS has a system to allow reduced membership dues for international members. Only those who fall under Category B or C in the Appendix "Country/Region Category Table" are eligible for a reduced membership due. Please note that the discount is not available to members in Category A (please contact the JSS Administration Center if your country is not listed in the category table). Please see the "Schedule of Membership Due" for the discount rates.
When applying for the discount, please fill out the application completely by following the instruction listed below and then mail the application to the JSS Administration Center.
Steps between applying for the discount and paying the membership due:
- Obtain the application form (download or by mail)
- Fill out the application according to the instruction
- Send the application form to the JSS Administration Center
- Application review
- JSS Administration Center to notify the result on the review
- JSS Administration Center to send the payment form
- Pay the membership due
*When applying for a reduced membership due, please do not make the payment until you receive a notification for approval and a payment form.
How to obtain the application form:
Application for Reduced Membership Due for International Members(PDF)
(PDF documents can be opened using the free Adobe Reader provided by Adobe.)
Request by mail
Please clearly state "Requesting the application form for reduced membership due for international members," enclose a self-addressed envelope with an JPY 82 stamp, and then mail it to the JSS Administration Center. In turn, we will mail you the necessary form.
JSS Administration Center
- Fiscal Year the Discount Is Requested: Please be sure to write down in the underlined blank space the fiscal year for which you would like the discount applied.
- New/Renew: Please encircle "Renew" if you had received a discount in the prior fiscal year and encircle "New" otherwise.
- Your Country or Region: Please write down your home country or region.
*If you are from Hong Kong, please state "Hong Kong" even if your country of citizenship is China.
- Country/Region Category: Please refer to the Country/Region Category Table and encircle the category applicable to the country or region you specified in 3.
- Affiliated Institution, Department, Line of Work/Title as of April of the Fiscal Year the Application Was Submitted: Please write down the affiliated institution, department, and line of work/title as of April of the fiscal year for which you would like the discount applied and then encircle the applicable option.
*Please note that contract staff (e.g., assistant, researcher) is also considered full-time employment rather than part-time employment.
*Please note that the discount measure is not applicable if you are employed on a full-time basis in Japan.
- Location of the Affiliated Institution: Please write down the address of the affiliated institution listed in 5.
- Address (contact address): Please write down the current address or the contact address you would like us to use for notifying the result of application.
c/o Galileo, Inc.
4F-1-24-1 Sugamo, Toshima Ward, Tokyo 170-0002
TELF+81-3-5981-9824 / FAXF+81-3-5981-9852
Latest revision date: July 2017
- In accordance with Article 17 of the Bylaws of the Japan Sociological Society, members with foreign citizenship may apply for a reduction of the membership due for the given fiscal year each fiscal year. However, the discount measure is not applicable to those who are employed in Japan on a full-time basis.
- Countries and regions, which comprise a criterion for calculating the membership due, are classified based on the Country/Region Category Table by the World Bank. It shall be updated annually. The discount measure is only applicable to those in Categories B and C.
- The membership due will be discounted according to the Schedule of Membership Due for members who were approved for the discounted membership due.
- JSS Administration Center will directly notify the individual whether the application is approved.
- A payment extension is granted during the period between the application for discount and notification on the approval.
*The payable membership due is calculated using the following formula: Payable membership due = normal membership due - (normal membership due ~ the discount rate)
|Country/Region Category||Discount Rate||Payable Membership Due|
(after the discount)
|A||Not applicable||Regular member|
|Associate member||JPY 8,000|
|0.8||Associate member||JPY 1,600|
|0.95||Associate member||JPY 400|
Antigua & Barbuda
Isle of Man
Sint Maarten (Dutch part)
St. Martin (French part)
Trinidad & Tobago
Turks and Caicos Islands
United Arab Emirates
Virgin Islands (US)
Central African R.
Congo, Dem. Rep.
|Korea, Dem. Rep.
(Return to top page)